Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Cooking for my mother, using her recipes. She made the best broccoli soup, a favourite growing up I remember drinking it from mugs in winter. I made it for Hannah as baby food, and though she won't take it in her lunch she still happily eats it for dinner.
Saute two medium onions, a few stalks of celery, and a carrot or two. Sometimes I add a little garlic. Once softened, thicken to a rue with flour, sprinkled lightly and mixed in - add four cups of broth (I prefer chicken, but a non-tomato based vegetable broth works well too for a vegan version). Whisk and add two or three bunches of chopped broccoli. I always reserve some little bits to add after blending, for texture and colour. Salt & pepper to season, and let to simmer.
Blend with an immersion blender when the broccoli is softened - to your liking. Sometimes I leave it chunkier, sometimes I make it really smooth. Add bits if you wish, simmer and serve.
Adding milk or cream is completely optional, I think anyway. I often just add the milk to individual servings, making the soup better for storing or freezing.
I've altered this recipe in many ways - beyond milk or cream, I've added kale and cauliflower, asparagus, more carrots less carrots (carrots are sweet so really alter the taste of the soup)...
Labels:
asparagus,
broccoli,
broccoli soup,
cauliflower,
kale,
soup,
vegan,
vegetables
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment