Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sweet Potato Soup (with lemon)

In the past I've made this soup using lemon grass. This time I did not have lemon grass so instead, using what I could find, added about a teaspoon of lemon zest and some juice - resulting in a completely different lemony addition, and a nicely flavoured soup, (....but I still do prefer the lemon grass).
2 medium onions
2 celery stalks
1 carrot
1 large leek
4 cloves garlic
chopped
lemon zest & some juice

All these vegetables are added to the pan with a splash of olive oil  
and cooked down until soft

This was when I added the lemon zest & some juice,
lots of fresh ground pepper,
a little salt, 
then one medium potato, chopped, 
and about six cups of broth 
and was let to simmer for about 10-15 minutes 
(or until the potatoes are softened).

Next added were six medium baked sweet potatoes. 
Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh into the simmering pot:

It was all left to simmer for another 10-15 minutes, then using our immersion blender (which I would bring with me as my lone tool if left to survive alone on a desert island) it was blended. 
I added about two more cups of broth here because it was very thick. (I wanted a thick soup, and with the extra two cups it was a perfect consistency.) 
Pepper and salt to taste.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Sweet Potato Soup with Lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment