As we entered the hospital cafeteria we were greeted with wine and appetizers that included:
Prosciutto Wrapped Thunder Oaks Farm Gouda, Arugula, Pear and Sugar Bear Apiary Honey.
It was my favourite of the night - delicious!
Also served (in cute little baskets) were Vegetable crips with Sweet Potatoes and Belluz Farms Germa Butterball Heirloom Potatoes drizzled with Aioli. The too were delicious.
I was ridiculously and embarrassingly giddy about meeting Michael Smith,
which was great.
![]() |
Hannah and her signed book,
me hugging Chef Michael Smith a little too tight...
|
They made the cafeteria look really nice. On piano was Danny Johnson, with Dan Zadkovich on double bass and Jim Differ on drums. The space was completely transformed.
After so many lunches and dinners of questionable soup and cafeteria onion rings this past year,
it was pretty impressive, a really nice atmosphere.
Seats were tight though...that could have been planned a little better. The waitstaff had a challenge getting meals out, maneuvering around obstacles in every direction. The space was maxed out for a good reason, a great cause, but ...
What was great fun was watching Chef Michael Smith on the big screens - as he served Belluz Farms Kabocha Squash and Buitenhuis Family Vegetables Parsnip Soup with Boreal Birch Syrup with Sage, Pumpkin Seed and Goat Cheese Pesto. Yummy, but a tad cool by the time it was delivered. The two soups served together is something I'd like to play with sometime at an upcoming a dinner with friends. :)
The Sleepy G Farm Heirloom Tomato Puree with Basil Sorbet and Pinenut Fennel Seed Brittle wasinteresting.
As great as it is to see local produce all dolled up, I think this one was a miss. The Basil sorbet was fantastic, but maybe tomatoes aren't best as a puree - the texture was off. The brittle was a little sticky on the teeth - not something I want to eat in public (like red wine, which was served compliments of Whitewater Golf Club) (so I drank a lot of wine wine from the cash bar...grin).
With enough wine in system I felt comfortable enough to join the mass of photographers hovering around the serving station where Chef Smith was working along side cafeteria staff. I was the paparazzi and I'm a little ashamed - but I would do it again! :o)
The dinner consisted of Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon with Belluz Farms Vegetables, Warmed Tarrymore Farms Red Cabbage Slaw (yum). Rice Pilaf using Kagiwiosa Manomin Wild Rice, Roasted Walnuts and Sleepy G Farm fresh Parsley.
Dessert was Oatmeal Crusted Rosemary Scented Hyatt Far, Apple Tart with Candied Belluz Farms Crabapple, Caramel Ice Cream and Mulled Cider Sauce.
![]() |
| activity in the TBRHSC cafeteria with Chef Michael Smith 14 October 2011 |
His after dinner speech on healthy eating, concerns over obesity and diabetes, and taking advantage of fresh local produce was comfortable and wise. He's as relaxed speaking to a crowd as he is to a camera. It was a fun night, it was great to see Hannah so mature and proper, and enjoying (and not enjoying) an adventure in dining together.
Thanks Mom!







No comments:
Post a Comment