Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cinnamony


C is for:
Cinnamon
Cake
Canned Pumpkin
I've been simmering a pot of homemade potpourri made of cinnamon sticks, cardamon pods, and some cloves in vanilla water. It has lasted for days now in the double boiler, filling the house to the top of the third floor with the smell of baking. Poor H returned home from school the other day coming through the door with an eager MMmmmmm assuming I had been baking, ..and I had to break her heart by telling her it was just something to mask the smell of 'dog'.

So, the next time I boiled it I decided to bake it too. A scour through the pantry and quick google for "pumpkin spice cake" brought me to this Canadian Living recipe. I've been craving something baked and pumpkiny - but it's mid-November and the LCBO Food&Drink Holiday Issue is in my hand, so gingerbread is also on my mind. I took this recipe and made it both.

First, I didn't gave any crystallized ginger in the house (who does??), and only cardamon seeds or pods - and I didn't feel like grinding (because I was making this cake while trying to make dinner at once..) - so I just dismissed them. I added ground ginger to the flour mixture: extra cinnamon & cloves, and a little bit of nutmeg. Mm. There was enough cake to fill my bundt pan and make twelve muffins. Again, I didn't use hazelnuts, and didn't add the rum; but I did add some chopped and toasted walnuts to the muffin-cakes, and to the top and bottom of the bundt cake.
The buttercream I made was basic, with lots of vanilla, some sour cream, and of course - cinnamon.

It's pretty dense, but still light and smooth. I over-baked these (as usual) so they could be a little less crumbly, but that only give me reason to make this recipe again. It's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment