Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gingerbread House Assembly Post 3

Rohan's garage came together very nicely (until I messed up a few roof measurements..). Again, fixable. Royal icing and chocolate can fix just about anything - although I have to say I've been wondering what Mike Holmes would thinking of my work - and am delerious enough from illness and sugar that I almost tweeted to him last night... The foundation of the garage is as perfect as I've ever done in gingerbread (that, I did measure well.) He's got two arched doors in front, and one to the back lane. There's room for a boat, two sleds, a Subaru sports car that doesn't have dog fur and slobber all over it, tools.. The floor is poured chocolate (now, in that case Mike Holmes would be impressed), with pressed cocoa-bits.


The sugar glass windows on the east/south wall of R's garage will fill the garage with morning sun; while the west wall remains windowless to protect it from the northwest winds that blow down from the Port Arthur ridge. He can keep all his tools there (no, I haven't made gingerbread tools)(yet). I have made some barbecue accessories though :D

Today, finally, the entire "gingerbread project" will come together. All the pieces are done except for little detaily things - fun things. Hannah decorated all the tree cones for the yard last night, and helped put the lights on the house.

We had one rogue jellybean fall from the tower, and bounce off the tinfoiled table right into the sunroom - through the sugar glass.
It was one large pice of sugar glass along the long east wall of the sunroom, so when one jellybean popped through one window the whole thing went out. I might have let out a cry, but - almost immediately realized the problem isn't as bas at it could be. Some of my construction work has been messy. I'd fire myself if there was someone to take over (Hannah? ..ahem?).. Anyway, the sunroom isn't so messy, so being able to see in there is something we can work with. It didn't take long for me to come up with a plan that Hannah is quite excited about, but I won't say what that is until the final reveal.




I decided to cover the repair job on the roof with a giant gingersnowflake cookie. The story about the day the giant snowflake crashed into the house is a good one, and one I'm sure our gingerfamily will tell for generations.



Hannah's cupcake stand is ready to be assembled (yes, cupcake stand...this is a dream house..), and the rest of the trees for the yard. Then I can pour the sugar snow yard, skating rink, and start playing house. :)




the back railing
a heart
and two garage windows
my favourite thing
is how the gingerhouse
casts the same shadows
as  our real house
 to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment