Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gingerbread House Assembly Post 1

I used the cheese grater
to prop open the  sun-room doors
while they baked

 The assembly of the gingerbread house has been a slower process than expected, but it's finally underway, and coming along nicely. I've made most of our house - as in our current home, along with the dreamhouse addition of a sunroom and of course, the observatory tower. I have rolled the roof parts yet, and have decided to wait until I have the walls up before getting that far ahead.


Sugar glass windows will be attached with royal icing to all the open windows. I can't decide what other decorations should be done before I put it up, so we'll just have to see.
The dough I'm using is an eggless recipes and I put only a quarter of the baking soda in each batch. This has helped keep the form, while still making a yummy cookie. It's like a gingersnap, crispy, and will taste great dipped in coffee.

The west side is as true to real as I could make. It's our house, after all. The port-hole window says it all. :)
 The front and back are also true to our actual house. I tried to add a little whimsy to the windows, which will each be decorated with Christmas/wintery garlands of icing and small candies. I'm going to leave the front and back porches as simple as possible.
The balcony railings are also made of gingerbread.


 At the end of today I have the whole house minus the roof, sunroom, the whimsical tower with it's roof, and one gingerbread wiener dog.
sugar glass curing
Ginger Clifford
2011



3 comments:

  1. I felt compelled to share this post on twitter - this is amazing work and I'm so impressed with the level of detail and care you're putting into this. Incredible. o_o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've been having a lot of fun making it. It's taking time, mostly because life is busy right now, but it's coming together well. I hope to have it standing and decorated by Friday night, or Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You absolutely must post a picture of the completed house :) I'll be waiting...

    ReplyDelete