Monday, December 19, 2011

Gingerbread House Assembly Post 2


Our gingerbread house so far..., there's still a lot to do.

Under construction: R's garage - which will be square and brick with a silly tall, pointy roof. Also some spruce trees for the yard, which will be made from gingerbread snowlafke cookies stacked with green gummies. The barbeque still needs some parts: a grill, some burgers with perfect grill marks, and some accessories. The skating rink needs to be poured, and some more ice cream cones trees for the yard (which Hannah is anxious to make and eat..)..., and, of course, Hannah's Cupcake stand. 

Our real house.

The sugar glass windows were the greatest challenge. Each batch turned out slightly different, purposely in a way - as I experimented with the results of the sugar at different temperatures. At first I thought I would use frosted glass for the sunroom, and clear glass for the house, but my first batch of windows turned out to be a bit droopy, so I had to remove them and start over. Now there is a bit of a mix in the house, and clear glass for the sun porch. Little quirks. :)

The tower windows were originally meant to all be open, to better see the Christmas tree up top. I tried glass in one window, decided it would be best to keep them open.. In the end, I think it's neat to have ways..



Details still need to be affixed: the railings on the balconies, and candy decorations by Hannah. The back of the house still needs some chocolatey doors, and window decor.

The chimney is made of two pieces glued together with chocolate. Chocolate is a wonderful glue, and a tasty clean up compared to royal icing.
the chocolately door to the upstairs balcony
with a coconub doorknob
This sun room  is pretty much what I would build
if we could mash the house next door for an addition.

I rolled the roof pieces with a spekulatius cookie roller, 
and added some (unruly) swirly doodads and icing squiggles. 
Just as our actual house sits on a stone foundation, 
our gingerbread house stands on a candy stone foundation. 

The trees for the yard are made from rolled gingerbread, shaped. 
Mounds of royal icing will help them stand. (I hope.)
The top to R's barbecue, the railing for the balcony, and two trees for the yard.
 a ginger Basset Hound joins our ginger Dachshund, along with candy rocks to swallow. 
Next we'll next a ginger Vet.
Still to come: our ginger Golden Retriever..., who will be leaping.

pieces gathering
pieces put together.
This might possibly be the slowest construction job ever.

to be continued....

3 comments:

  1. I've got two words: Fetish Worthy! This is totally going to be featured in my next Friday Food Fetish post... Really fantastic job and I wish you lived next door so you could make me one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I know I've already gushed over this house multiple times, but thanks again for sharing and I’ve featured this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup. If you have any objections, please let me know. Have a wonderful holiday and keep amazing food coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are updates posted on this project! :)

    ReplyDelete